Thursday, January 30, 2014

Small and Simple Choices


This was a blog post I wrote a while ago that I never ended up posting:

Yesterday the theme for our ward relief society was introduced. It's based on one of my favourite scriptures that is very dear to me. "By small and simple things great things are brought to pass" I've been thinking a lot lately about choices. Not about major life-changing choices, but small day-to-day choices, and what they mean. How they really can have the power to change us. I have really tried working on making better daily, small decisions. Decisions that really don't make a huge difference to my day, but have the power to completely alter the person I am. Choosing to smile when I'm frustrated. Choosing to laugh when I ruin supper. Choosing to get up, and get out the door and go for a run. Choosing to savor those amazing discovery moments with Renne instead of worrying about my to-do list. Choosing to ignore my judgements, and give people the benefit of the doubt. Choosing to read goodness rather than watch time wasting trash. The list goes on. I really have seen how these small things make all the difference. I have changed because of them. Not only am I changed, but those around me change as well. When I make a conscience effort to watch my thoughts, I am so much happier. I have an inner peace, a sense of control. My family notices, and they are happier, and home life is calm, and inviting rather than hectic and stressful. Mothers really do have such a major responsibility to inspire and create the home dynamic. I really believe that. I have a long way to go, but I really believe the following is so true, as cliche as it may sound:

“Watch your thoughts for they become words.
Watch your words for they become actions.
Watch your actions for they become habits.
Watch your habits for they become your character.
And watch your character for it becomes your destiny.
What we think, we become."

A little food for thought...

1 comment:

  1. So true Ash! I have to keep reminding myself all the time.

    ReplyDelete